A warm welcome to Year 4 from your teachers and teaching assistants. Mr Bland & Mrs Simcox teach Edinburgh class; Mrs Roberts teaches Sheffield class and Mr Wood teaches Dublin. We are available after school every day on the playground after school, via messaging on Class Dojo or by phoning he school office to book a meeting.
Our teaching assistants Miss Clark, Miss Hallsworth and Mrs Shaw support and extend pupils with models, representations and scaffolds in daily lessons, as well as providing targeted phonics programmes, reading interventions and individual learning plan support so that all pupils make the best progress they can.
Year 4 is a fantastic school Year with a great curriculum, bespoke to Langley Mill Academy and our pupils. We will learn about topics which take us from the Ancient Greeks, to the Romans; habitats of the world to States of Matter; poems to explanations and place value to initial work on decimals. In Year 4 all pupils will learn to play the ukulele and continue to learn, apply and communicate using British Sign Language (BSL)
This term our enquiry question is 'How did Ancient Greece influence the Western World?'
We will learn about:
- Ancient Greek civilisation, their Gods, buildings, location and topography.
- In Design and technology we will learn about food and design and make a hummus with flat bread
- In science we will learn about sound and how it travels
Start and end times
Our start and end times in year 4 will remain the same as the rest of the school: 8:20am to 3:00pm.
The children can enter school by the door that links the main school building to Year 6.
Every class in school has 2 PE lessons. Pupils will come to school in PE kits - which includes the school provided PE t-shirt, with black shorts / jogging bottoms. Suitable sports shoes / trainers must be worn and any earrings removed.
Edinburgh: Tuesday and Wednesday.
Sheffield: Wednesday and Friday.
Dublin: Wednesday and Thursday.
On these days, please send your child to school in their PE kit.
A reminder about uniform and PE Kit. You may want to layer up under the jumpers on colder days as again, we will have the windows open for ventilation. We do have some spare clean, pre-loved uniform in school. If you could make use of this uniform, please contact Mrs Naylor.
Our uniform is:
Black or grey trousers, skirts or pinafores.
White or royal blue polo shirt or shirt.
Royal blue cardigan, jumper or fleece.
Here is our useful information for our usual class learning:
- Homework is given out weekly, and is due on Fridays.
- Likewise, spellings are given out weekly and are tested on Fridays.
- We use Class Dojo to communicate with families and carers, so please make sure you are signed up.
- All children in Y4 must come to school in their PE uniform on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Pupils can change their reading books and library books as often as needed.
- We expect all families/carers to read at least five times a week at home with their child. and to record it in their reading record.
- Year 4 have ukulele lessons on Thursday afternoons.
- We practise times tables daily, and encourage children to practise at home too.
- Children have individualised logins for Times Tables Rock Stars and BugClub - just ask if you need the information!
- We like to be helpful, so please get in touch if we can help in any way!
Some helpful Year 4 links