A warm welcome to Year 4 from your teachers and teaching assistants. Mr Wood teachers Rauf Class, Mrs Connellan teaches Bell Class and Mr Hearne teaches Hughes class. We are available every day on the playground after school, via messaging on Class Dojo or by phoning the school office to book a meeting.
Our teaching assistants, Mrs Pepperday, Mrs Garratt and Mr Howard, support and extend pupils with models, representations and scaffolds in daily lessons, as well as providing targeted phonics programmes, reading interventions and individual learning plan support so that all pupils make the best progress they can.
Year 4 is a fantastic school Year with a great curriculum, bespoke to Langley Mill Academy and our pupils.
We will learn about topics which take us from the Ancient Greeks, to the Romans; from habitats of the world to States of Matter; poems to explanations and place value to initial work on decimals. In Year 4, all pupils will learn to play the ukulele and continue to learn, apply and communicate using British Sign Language (BSL).
We have fantastic weekly art lessons and are currently enjoying studying sculpture and 3d.
This term our enquiry question is 'How did the Roman Empire impact Britain?'
This term our learning is all about The Romans. Our sticky knowledge question is 'How did the Roman Empire impact Britain?' We also have ten sticky knowledge questions we will work on this term & we will share these with you at the term's mid-point so that you can support your child with a Romans related project.
Start and end times: Our start and end times in year 4 will remain the same as the rest of the school: 8:20am to 3:00pm. The children can enter school by the door that links the main school building to Year 6.
PE: Every class in school has one PE lessons & a 'Daily Active' session. Pupils will come to school in PE kits - which includes the school provided PE t-shirt, with black shorts / jogging bottoms. Suitable sports shoes / trainers must be worn and any earrings removed.
Rauf Class: Tuesday AM
Bell Class: Tuesday PM
Hughes: Tuesday AM
On these days, please send your child to school in their PE kit, including our new Langley Mill Academy Physical Education tops that we provided this September.
Please ensure your child’s uniform is as close to normal as possible. You may want to layer up under the jumpers on colder days as again, we will have the windows open for ventilation. We do have some spare clean, pre-loved uniform in school. If you could make use of this uniform, please contact Mrs Naylor.
Our uniform is:
Black or grey trousers, skirts or pinafores.
White or royal blue polo shirt or shirt.
Royal blue cardigan, jumper or fleece.
Hair tied up.
Black, navy or grey shorts or joggers weather dependent.
Blue Langley Mill Academy PE t-shirt.
Trainers that support your child’s feet for sport.
No jewellery on PE days please.
Here is our useful information for our usual class learning:
- Spellings are given out weekly and are tested on Fridays.
- We use Class Dojo to communicate with families and carers, so please make sure you are signed up.
- All children in Y4 must come to school in their PE uniform on Tuesdays.
- Pupils can change their reading books and library books as often as needed.
- We expect all families/carers to read at least five times a week at home with their child and to record it in their reading record.
- Year 4 have ukulele lessons on Wednesday afternoons.
- We practise times tables daily, and encourage children to practise at home too.
- Children have individualised logins for Times Tables Rock Stars - just ask if you need the information!
- We like to be helpful, so please get in touch if we can help in any way!
Some helpful Year 4 links